Are you are you on the hunt for a new role?
Here are some super secrets for securing interviews:
- Sell yourself to the decision maker. If possible avoid HR (human Resources) unless they are the hiring decision maker. Focus on the Line Managers. Typically HR’s function is to eliminate and reduce CVs and candidates submitted to the decision maker to minimize his / her workload. You however want to have a decision made by the decision maker rather than the shortlisting person. HR may not be able to see your potential fit.
- Tailor your CV to highlight how you fit the post and the company needs – do your research! (Remember successful Job Hunting is not about mass sending)
- Use networking and personal introductions
- Use a multipronged approach – use agencies when the job fits (especially specialist agencies), use your own network, introduce yourself etc. As indicated by Job Search research use at up to 4 approaches (review Tip 5 for more on the Job Search / Marketing options)
- Get creative in your approach, but keep it professional
One very effective way to get final interviews is by doing pre-interviews. This is a creative and proactive approach where you arrange pre-interview meetings such as:
- Information interviews/discussions – when you meet with people to discuss the industry, company or specific job roles. Try to find people passionate about what they do. They help you clarify if you are on the right track and can also open up contacts so you can talk to the decision maker. Talk to people passionate about what they do and you’ll get plenty of information and clarity if you are on the right track
- Company specific discussion – these are meetings focused on better understanding the company you are keen on to. Don’t speak to the decision maker but rather potential future colleagues or other company staff. These are informal chats to help you better identify the right decision maker to contact and to really understand the needs of the company so you can show how you can solve their challenges. This is a great way to penetrate companies no matter if there is an advertised post.
Go get those interviews!
To your success.
Are you interested in pursuing new manufacturing career opportunities? Please arrange a 15 minute career call with us today
Helping Manufacturing Professionals across the UK to find their next career move